Want to make sure CJP is picking up what you’re putting down? Then be on the lookout for our May 11 survey. Let us know about what programs and events are meaningful to you – and how you’d like to hear about them.
Whoa, we’re (more than) halfway there!
Our Annual Campaign is closing in June, so you still have time to keep making a difference in the Jewish community. We’re at $38.6 million and counting – so any amount will help us blast past our goals.
THINGS WE SUPPORTEach year, CJP helps support programs and organizations throughout our community. Here are some of this month’s events we proudly fund.
THINGS IN THE CITY
Get your prom on tonight
There’s still time to volunteer
to make a JCHE senior’s night at Senior Prom TONIGHT, May 1. Cut a rug, craft some crafts, and be a social butterfly. Did we also tell you about the after party with fellow volunteers at a local bar? And did we already mention it’s tonight?
Food for thought
Join the conversation with Dr. Erica Brown to explore The Use and Abuse of Power in Jewish Tradition
. This eye-opening session – part of The Rabbi Samuel Chiel (zt”l)
Genesis Forum – examines Jewish attitudes toward power within families, communities and other organizations. Bring your lunch and get ready for some spirited discussions.
The mission of a lifetime
Does summering in Greece and Israel with other young adults sound cool to you? (Yes, please!) This year’s incredible #SeaToCity mission takes place June 29 through July 11. Get all the details — itinerary, cost, what to expect, and more – to plan your Best. Summer. Ever. Contact Karen at email@example.com
for more information.
The future is WOW
Introducing this year’s incredibly inventive PresenTense Social Innovation Showcase. What’s it all about? Spotlighting cutting-edge ventures that bring positive change. For more info, please contact Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Play ball, do good
Yom Sport is 21! Celebrate on June 26
with fun in the sun as you shoot hoops, run relays, and have a blast giving back with adult athletes of all abilities. Then, meet up with other volunteers to keep the team spirit going at the after party.
Spice up the Sabbath
Old-school Shabbat still rocks, but here are two great ways to add some new flavors to an ancient observance.
- At the Cinco de Mayo Shabbat Dinner on May 6 (okay, so it’s technically “Seis de Mayo”), sangria and tequila share space at the (open) bar with Kosher wines. The four-course meal includes both traditional and Mexican-infused fare. You’ll also have plenty of time to interact with other young professionals from the Greater Boston area.
- Celebrate Friday the 13th with a heaping plate of soul at the monthly Soul Food Friday musical Shabbat. Before this engaging Qabbalat Service gets started, mix and mingle over wine and cheese. Afterwards, enjoy a delicious dinner with a side of schmoozing with others in their 20s and 30s.
THINGS WE LOVEBlog of the Month
Where can you find the latest Jewish-themed films and art exhibits? What are some local opportunities to give back and be a mensch in the community? JewishBoston
answers these and other burning questions to help you keep it Hebrew close to home.
THINGS THAT ARE JEWISH
Mark your calendars for these holidays and observances:
Light ‘em up, up, up
- Counting of the Omer – Beginning April 24, the 49 days between Passover and Shavuot are counted to signify the time from Exodus until we received the Torah, the true symbol of our redemption from slavery.
- Yom HaShoah – Holocaust Remembrance Day – is Thursday, May 5. Join us to meet and hear from active duty Israeli officers for their reflections on the Holocaust.
- Yom Hazikaron – which is Israel’s official Memorial Day – remembers the fallen soldiers of Israel and victims of terrorism on May 11.
- Yom Ha’atzmaut – or Israel Independence Day – takes place on May 12 to celebrate the creation of the State of Israel. Freedom!
My (shabbat) songs know what you did in the (almost) dark. So strike a match and say your blessings, because your May candlelighting times are here:
Questions? Ideas? Let’s chat! Reply to this email or reach out to Dani Weinstein, Senior Director, CJP Young Adult Initiative at email@example.com.
- Friday, May 6 | 7:32 p.m.
- Friday, May 13 | 7:39 p.m.
- Friday, May 20 | 7:46 p.m.
- Friday, May 27 | 7:53 p.m.